No Big Surprises in Spring Election Results

admin's picture
By: 
Michelle Phillips

WISCONSIN–The Spring 2021 Election saw a number of contested races, from State Superintendent of Public Instruction to local municipalities. The results given below have not been certified for up to 30 days. 

In the race for State Superintendent, Jill Underly easily defeated Deborah Kerr on both the state and local level. Statewide, Underly received 56.9 percent of the vote compared to Kerr’s 43.1 percent. In Dane County Underly won by a landslide with 80.1 percent of the votes cast and Kerr receiving 19.8 percent. 

Incumbent Dane County Executive Joe Parisi also scored big on votes taking in 78.9 percent to opponent Mary Ann Nicholson’s 20.9 percent. Parisi has run unopposed in two previous elections.

Voters in the Village of Cross Plains were asked to vote for three trustees, and village board president.

In an incredibly tight race, separating the winners by less than one percentage point, Andy Hartman (27.8 percent), Doug Brunner (26.7 percent) and incumbent Judy Ketelboeter (25.2 percent, will serve as trustees. The race was rounded out with 19.5 percent of votes for Deborah Cutler and 0.8 percent chose to write in a candidate. 

Current president Jay Lengfeld ran unopposed and received 97.2 percent of the vote. The remaining 2.8 percent went to write-in candidates.

The Town of Middleton also saw contested races for two board of supervisor seats and town chair spot.

In the Middleton Town Supervisor Seat 1 Incumbent Richard Oberle won with 66.8 percent of the ballots cast. His opponent Michael Kauper took 33 percent of votes and 0.2 percent went to write in candidates. Seat 2 saw a tight race between David Bryce and Lisa Pardon. Bryce defeated Pardon 51 percent to 48.8 percent with 0.3 percent choosing to write in a candidate. 

Incumbent Cynthia Richson will return as board chair registering 66.3 percent of votes. Her opponent, former board member Brent Renteria brought in 33.6 percent of the votes.

The Middleton Cross Plains Area School District (MCPASD) had races for three seats. None of the incumbents ran for election this term.

Simrnjit Seerha and Matt Niesen faced off for the Area V seat. Seerha took in 54.9 percent of votes and Niesen received 45 percent of the votes cast. Write-in candidates received 0.1 percent. 

Area IV was uncontested after Matthew Thompson dropped out of the race three weeks before the election. His name still appeared on the ballot and he brought in 25.7 percent of votes. His opponent Gail Shepler received 73 percent and 1.3 percent went to write in candidates.

Brian Bonti ran uncontested for Area 2 and brought in 99 percent of the votes with one percent going to write-in candidates.

Incumbent alders in the city of Middleton all ran unopposed they are: District 1-Kathy Olsen (98 percent, write-in two percent); District 3-Katy Nelson (98.9 percent, write-in 1.1 percent; District 5-Luke Fuszard (99.6 percent, write-in 0.4 percent); and District 7-Dan Ramsey (99.2 percent, write-in 0.8 percent). 

A complete list of Dane County election results can be found at https://elections.countyofdane.com/Election-Result/130.

 

Rate this article: 
Average: 5 (1 vote)